Friday, November 1, 2013

Why Are We So Addicted to Brand Name Fashion Clothing?

I think we could all agree that most of the time we would rather wear brand name clothing like Chanel and Louise Vuitton rather than Walmart or no-name brands. But have you ever asked yourselves why you or society prefers to wear the best of the best in the world? After doing a recent study in a grade 12 English class, I have come to the conclusion of 3 reasons to answer this question, which I am going to explain in this blog post. 

So in other words, the more high end fashion you have,
the more weight you lose? 
For starters, who likes to feel good about themselves every time they walk out of the house? Believe it or not, dressing in nice designer fashion makes you be more confident in yourself. In other words, it builds your self esteem just to know that you are wearing  the "cream of the crop" of this century. People in my study have repeatedly brought up the point that they feel more happier and "on top of the world" when they are wearing nicer clothes. So the question I'm asking is....is everyone a materialist in some way or another? How can we control our love and passion to look and feel good at the same time and get recognized for it ? I guess that is why the fashion industry will always be one of the most growing industries in the world. 

Hilary Duff shows off her
Chanel handbag

With the growth of a huge industry also comes the influences of the media on buyers in society. As we know the media in our century basically runs everything in our lives, so the influences of celebrity's fashion is part of our culture  and our everyday life. It becomes our "status quo". One of the main reasons why people dare to by 300$ pair of jeans or a handbag that costs just as much as a diamond ring is to live up their status in society. In today's day and age, everyone is looking to catch the eye of society or to be known for what they have and wear. This brings up the point that there is a fine line between "showing-off" what you have or genuinely having a passion for fashion. So what type of buyer are you?



Lastly, people could just have one plain reason why they are addicted to brand names. It's as simple as appreciating the finer things in life. People with this trade always see the beauty and quality in better and known brand names. A quote that I always follow is; "There is a difference between being rich and appreciating the finer things in life." You don't have to be rich to appreciated such beauty of the best pieces of art fashion out there, you have to have the passion.   
   

6 comments:

  1. I can completely relate to the reasons why we are so addicted to brand name fashion. People tend to feel better about themselves when they look in the mirror and they see themselves wearing expensive clothing. Not to mention, we are constantly trying to impress other people in our society, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. At what point should we stop spending so much of our money just to impress others, when we can buy inexpensive clothing for less than half the price?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that we all love to wear brand name clothing! I can relate that it makes us feel better about ourselves. Every once in a while, we like to spoil ourselves with a brand name handbag or shoes; it makes us happy. Also, most of the time expensive brand names usually last longer because they’re better quality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love name brand clothing! I find that it is so much comfier than walmart and no-name brand. When I think about it I see it like this: When I pay $100 for a pair of pants vs. a $10 pair of pants, I feel that I am paying for quality material and that the more expensive brand takes more time in the factory to make absolute sure that the customer is satisfied. This is a great post that makes you think about what choices are being made in society and why!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel as though most people who wear name branded things only purchase them to show off. I mean if Gucci and Prada weren't so expensive, I doubt they would be as popular as they are today. But I do agree on them making us feel good about ourselves but only because they make us feel connected to celebrities..if they can afford it and we purchase it, it makes us feel like were like them and they're no different from the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt like I didn't really fall into this category because I couldn't be any happier wearing my sweatpants and basketball shorts every day of my life. Then I thought about it and realized that although I don't care if I wear Chanel or even brands like Garage and American Eagle, I am obsessed with sporting brands like Adidas and Nike. I couldn't imagine wearing clothes that didn't have the little check mark symbol on them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can completely relate to this Blog! I feel as if I am reading about myself when I read this. I am the type of person that is obsessed with brand name clothing: purses, shoes and even make-up! I never really thought why? After reading your blog, I came to a conclusion that I don't do it to show off, but it makes me feel amazing! Also, I feel as if brand name clothing do have better materials and that is why they are so expensive! I am the type of person to go buy something once with great quality, no matter the price, rather than go buy it a few times because the quality is not as great! This blog really caught my attention, very interesting!

    ReplyDelete